Post: ASSISTANT TEACHER: Software Systems Development to A Level and Maths to GCSE
The post-holder will, in the first instance, report and be directly responsible to the Head of Department (Curriculum) and Head of Year (Pastoral) and ultimately to the Principal or her designated deputy.
St. Dominic’s Grammar School for Girls, Belfast
Main Professional Grade
The responsibilities below are subject to the general duties and responsibilities contained within the Teachers’ (Terms and Conditions of Employment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1987. They are not necessarily comprehensive and may be amended by the Principal, in consultation with the post-holder, relevant Head of Department and Head of Year, to reflect the needs of the school.
The postholder will:
· Ensure that his/her professional practice and approaches are in accordance with the agreed standards set out in the school-developed Teaching and Learning policy and Professional Standards Policy;
· Teach Software Systems/Digital Technology to A Level
· Teach ICT throughout the school
· Teach Maths to GCSE
· Act as a Form Tutor and carry out related duties in accordance with the responsibilities of a Form Tutor;
· Contribute to the extra-curricular life of the school; in particular all ICT activities
· Contribute to the development and implementation of school policies and procedures;
· Carry out supervisory duties as required in accordance with published rosters including break, lunch and detention duties;
· Undertake any reasonable duties requested by the Principal or her designated deputy.
The postholder will:
· Fulfil the aims of the ICT and Maths departments and implement, under the direction of the Head ofICT and Head of Maths, school policies with regard to classroom management and organisation, discipline, homework;
· Contribute to the development and production of schemes and units of work, internal examination and assessments;
· Maintain under the direction of the Heads of Departments, appropriate pupil records;
· Integrate fully Information and Communication Technologies to the teaching and learning of subjects;
· Regularly upload assignments/support materials and resources to the school’s VLE (Training and support will be provided)
· Keep abreast of subject developments in particular and curriculum developments in general;
· Identify and undertake any necessary personal and professional development and training required to discharge the responsibilities of subject teaching.
· Teach Software Systems Development to KS5 (CCEA) and Digital Technology to KS5 (CCEA)
· Teach Maths to KS4
· Prepare pupils for public examinations - GCSE (CEA) andA’ level (CEA)
· Set regular assignments and mark these in line with the school’s literacy policy
· Prepare and mark coursework for all pupils, especially those in Years 11 – 14
· Attend regular meetings to ensure continuity and progression
· Conduct cross-moderations with other members of the department
· Keep detailed and accurate records of results for future use
· Attend all relevant parents’ meetings
- Contribute to the extra-curricular life of the school
The postholder will:
· Ensure that professional practice and approaches are in accordance with the agreed standards set out in the school developed pastoral policy.
· Fulfil the aims of the school’s pastoral policy and implement under the direction of the Head of Year, the timetabled pastoral programme with particular year group as required;
· Contribute to the review and development of units of work and maintain under the direction of the Head of Year, appropriate pupil records;
· Assist in the organisation of pastoral activities for a particular year group;
· Develop a detailed knowledge of the needs, aspirations, interests and academic progress of each pupil in a form group;
· Respond to the individual problems of pupils and encourage, motivate and counsel pupils as necessary;
· Maintain, under the direction of Head of Year, contact with parents/guardians and welfare agencies, as required;
· Keep abreast of pastoral developments eg child protection;
· Identify and undertake any personal and professional development required to discharge pastoral responsibilities effectively.
The post-holder may be required to carry out other duties appropriate to the post and to the level of responsibility as may reasonably be assigned by the Principal from time to time.